"L" Shaped Layout

toc36

Getting ready to build this layout! My plan was to lay four independent concentric ovals which morphed into four independent concentric figure eights. Decided to reduce it to two concentric ovals with a station yard and an industrial pass through yard. I will build/buy in increments. Outer oval with cross over, inner oval with station yard, then industrial yard. Ultimately, I want to add a elevated/viaduct line.

My layout is 3660mm x 2440mm (12' by 8'). Each block is 305mm x 305mm (1' x 1')

What is ironic is that my original plan was to build a 4' x 2' tram layout.

Lower Track.pdf

Toc,

Looks like you have a good plan both in track and doing it in installments. Layouts always seem to grow, never shrink, in planning!

Cheers

Jeff

Katoftw,

I plan on using Kato track. I have easy access to Kato Track via Klein's/modeltrainstuff.com. Its only 90 minutes away and I can have it shipped inexpensively.

I took heed of what you said in another thread. Thanks. Experimented a bit, and came to the conclusion that my original plan would be boring. The yards will allow me to keep most of my trains on the table.

In all honesty, this will be my first complex layout. My dad built my first layout over 40 years ago.

Mark

Mark,

Come over and join us for an event when you get a chance! We will be over at the ekoji Buddhist temple obon festival in fairfax on July 11 with ttrak. Monthly sushi lunch is on the 8th of each month in Bethesda (unless it falls in a weekend the usually dinner in Arlington).

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Mark.

You need to remember that ALL Kato double track is SUPER ELEVATED in the curves so that where you have an S curve you will need the space to come down off the super elevation, have a straight track, then go back up on the next curve's super elevation.

This adds to the length and width of your layout.

gerryo

Edited by gerryo

Gerryo,

I am using the wood tie track that is not super-elevated.

However, I am planning on having an upper level viaduct loop where super-elevation will be a factor.

Thanks,

Mark

Jeff,

Thanks for the invite. I'll put it on my calendar, but I'm planning on visiting my mom in Chicago. My work schedule dictates when I go.

I went to the show in Timonium this weekend. Very disappointing. Only one layout and less than 1/4 the normal vendors. Luckily, Klein's is only 15 minutes away!

Mark

Mark,

Was the hall full up? That summer show is forced into the small building with air conditioning so that's why almost no layouts. Two summers ago they had us in the entry area, but last year they filled it with vendors and sounded like that was the case this year. The new show owners did sound like the vendor attendance was picking up the previous couple of shows. It's getting really expensive for the vendors to travel to the shows these days and folks tend to spend their money on the Internet options these days.

Pm me your email address and I'll make sure to let you know the next club events.

Cheers

Jeff