Air con Tube trains begin trials

Masioka

The trains don't seem that wide as compared to the NYC subway trains I ride. I wonder why they didn't show the outside design of the train?

Darren Jeffries

The new S Stock trains wont be as wide as most metro systems in the world, this is  because of the limitations of the tunnels on the network. Most of these tunnels are turn of the century and it would take a major job to enlarge them. It sometimes feels like you are scraping the walls as it is!!!

There was a mockup done of the train which gives you some idea of what it will look like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/London_Underground_S_Stock_mockup_-_exterior_-_Euston_29-Sept-08.jpg

http://www.bombardier.com/files/en/supporting_docs/image_and_media/projects/BT-3285-London_SSLHR.JPG

The trains don't seem that wide as compared to the NYC subway trains I ride.

Most of the old metro system are very narrow. For exemple in Paris the trains are 2m40 wide. In fact most of Paris metropolitain is build like an underground tram.

A/C system in the tube? Yeah nice but it's going to make the temperature even higher in the tunnels and stations. Sometimes I really think A/C is not answer and most of the people don't know how to use it. Too hot, too cold. Then nobody is able to stand the heat anymore.

Wow the trains are just now getting AC, now I'll never complain about the MTA again. I remember when AC was spotty at best on the trains here. I wish the MTA would do something about the platforms smelling like urine and no AC, oppps there I go complaining again lol.

bikkuri bahn

Hey disturb,

One benefit for us tourists riding the (non-AC) Paris Metro lines in summer (especially recent ones) is I get a trip to the sauna included for the price of a carnet.  I make sure to keep an extra t-shirt handy :laugh:

Yeah, it's even worse on the 4 or 1 line since they are packed all day and all year long and since the pneumatic boggie system make everything warmer.

I kind of think that it might be possible to make thinks bearable without A/C but it will implied to find a way to refrigerate/ventilate efficiently the tunnels.

Will be a shame to see the A-Stock leave us but the oldest A stock were built in 1960, so next year will make their 50th anniversary in service! :grin. Though it is said that all good things have to come to an end sooner or later :sad:.

Most of the old metro system are very narrow.

Not just in Europe either. All the original US subway stock was 8' wide (2.4m). Only after Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Co introduced the "BMT standard" car in 1914, to compete with the now-electrified heavy railways, did anyone conceive of a wide subway car.

Boston and the New York IRT still use 8-footers. Other systems in the US were either expanded or died out. When the Soviets started building Metros in the 30s, they standardized on a BMT-style widebody design. Chinese and other south asian metros are partially cascaded from Soviet technology.

But in the beginning it was all BMT.