Meitetsu M-type automatic coupler

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

A recent Railway Pictorial Archives Selection issue about Meitetsu 1970~1980 (#31) had an interesting article about Meitetsu's bespoke automatic coupler. Basically, with the frequent forming and un-forming of consists in revenue services en-route on the Meitetsu network (around 260 times/day in the early 1970's), the railway was looking for a coupling/uncoupling procedure that was more rapid and safer for train staff. Meitetsu looked at adopting Shibata style couplers with associated automatic electrical linkage, but ruled it out due to expense (Meitetsu used knuckle-style couplers on its fleet). An in-house system was developed which could be retro-fitted to existing couplers (in particular those of the 7000 series SR Panorama Cars). The device, mounted under the existing coupler, consisted of an 80 pin electrical connector and a three-hole air brake connection (main reservoir pipe, straight air pipe, and brake pipe). The connections were protected by a metal cover when not in use. Two types were developed- one with a fixed mounting, and another with a extendable connection driven by an air cylinder. When coupling, at least one coupler must be the extendable type. This system was used as the air and electrical connections are independent of the knuckle coupler connection- therefore, even with a slight offset of the main coupler connection, the electrical/air connections are secure. With the adoption of this coupler, coupling operations were shortened from 1 min 40s to 1 min, and decoupling from 1 min 34s to 1 min 4 s. Subsequent new rolling stock were fitted with this coupler as standard.

Demo at an open day:

Another angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOrjGVTMDU

at Shin Anjo Station:

At Shin-Unuma Station:

An oldie, at Otagawa Station:

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 5

Thanks Bikkuri, very interesting.

I guess I'm surprised that development of this was cheaper than buying Shibata couplers.  At that time, did they require their entire fleet to MU together?  I guess they did.  If they were to use Shibata types, couldn't they just replace the couplers at cab ends?  Did they really need to replace both couplers on every car, even intermediate cars?  Again, I guess so.

I was vaguely aware that not everyone, even some major private railways, are using the same type of coupler that can be seen on all JR 1067mm EMUs.  Clicking around wikipedia, though, I see some things that surprise me.

• looks like Keihan uses this same knuckle type as Meitetsu, but none of their rolling stock types have any kind of automatic electric/air connection.
  • Hankyu has incompatible types, Shibata and a tall knuckle coupler.
  • Tokyu has two different looking knuckle couplers, don't know if they're compatible or not
  • Keikyu seems to have Shibata types on everything current; retired types had the Meitetsu type
  • Keisei is like Keihan, small knuckle coupler without any electric/air connection
  • Tobu seems to have two different knuckle couplers like Tokyu

Maybe the companies using knuckle coupler without electric connection don't run multiple units coupled in service?

I've also seen pics of Tobu stock with shibata couplers btw.

Maybe the companies using knuckle coupler without electric connection don't run multiple units coupled in service?

I've also seen pics of Tobu stock with shibata couplers btw.

Yeah, I was just listing what I saw on wikipedia, it must come down to operational patterns.

I made a mistake on that last one.  It was time for dinner :grin

bikkuri bahn

Miya, typically in EMU formations intermediate cars use drawbars to connect to each other, not couplers.  The article I read had another reason for not adopting shibata couplers, something to do with not being able to have a phased upgrade, but necessity of all or nothing (I couldn't fully understand that section of the writing, I'll have to go over it again).  I reckon there was also some element of pride- adopting a "foreign" but off-the-shelf solution may have been contrary to the Meitetsu tradition of singular practices and making do with what you got.  In many ways Meitetsu shares more in common with Kansai private railway operators than ones in Kanto.

This add on connector allowed automatic connections while retaining the option for the slower knuckle+cable connections for unequipped cars and mid consist connections. Also an upgraded car end could connect to the middle of a consist. This allows mix and match set building while still speeding up coupling a bit in case of two upgraded cars, but not as much as a fully automatic, self adjusting coupler would. The costs are also minimal compared to a full fleet upgrade.

Does anyone know what type of couplers that JR East and JR West uses? I mention this because both these JR Group companies frequently couple and uncouple their longer-distance commuter trains (for example Tsuruga to Osaka and Otsuki to Tokyo).

I think with Meitetsu (just speculating here), the choice for not going for Shibata types is to have had all rolling stock compatible because of the freight train operations, as well as empty hauls by the same locomotives that operated the freight trains (ended in 1984).

JNR used shibata and jumper cables and the JR companies took over that practice. However there are various standards for jumper cable connections and automatic cable connections too. In the worst case, the shibata + cables can be used on most sets. Interesting, but the yamanote 231 series has only this basic connection, as they are not coupled/uncoupled in daily use, but other 231 series units have a single row of connectors on the end cars. The sunrise 285 series (JRW/JRC) that are coupled regularly use shibata and a double row of connectors. Shibata + cables are a very good way to couple fixed sets, because when coupled, they are more drawbar like than knuckles.