new but noisy and slow motor

jrcrunch

hi,

this is my first time to have a HO and tomix trains. i was excited but dissappointed with my train. the train i got is e231-500  Ho-053 and Ho-054

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/ho/ho053-5_397_8.htm

the train runs very slow and very loud compared to my N-scale trians and kato trains

as you can see in my video, i am using a kato standard powerpack, speed is just normal, not really fast, when the train hits the curved tracks, it gets really loud. (it is annoying)

https://youtu.be/lyQR9f6EgTM

there a times it is struggling. i feel so unlucky. i just opened this one. 

https://youtu.be/-9Ni3vCV1pE

the motor is really loud, i think it doesnt enough torque or power to carry the other train cars :(  i tried it with 6 cars and it runs really slow, then tried it with the original 4 cars but same result :(

https://youtu.be/PnW0IOlAp34

https://youtu.be/NFHgYx6h_Kc

i was so excited by this set and  it is an expensive purchase 

Edited by jrcrunch

Are you sure you aren't running it on a too small curve? The instructions mention a 'Minimum radius R490 (except for the S-shaped linear)', so your curve radius should be at least 49 cm (a total diameter of 1 meter). Running the train on a small curve would force the top cogs of the driven bogies against the drive worms and result in a grinding noise. If the train is run for a longer period this way, the top cogs might get damaged or in the worst case stripped. This is very similar to the effects of running an N scale modemo tram on a too small (R103) curve.

ps: First, i would check if all wheels are turning on the motor bogies smoothly when it's powered laying upside down, to eliminate any stripped cogs or broken/displaced cardan shafts. If the mechanics are undamaged, then i would try to turn the bogies (still upside down and still under power) to see the minimal silent turning radius.

I can hear a grinding noise.  firstly find which car is holding the consist up.  just push the trailer cars along the tracks separately one at a time to see they aren't the issue.  then run the motor car separately also.  if it is the motor car, then crack it open.  pretty sure you'll find a axle or worn drive looking funky.

tried using again the other day and yesterday

it moves just ok in only one direction but it gets a bit slow and loud on curves 

and here is the the big problem: it doesn't move in the opposite direction. like it has no power is this normal for tomix HO trains???

here at 4 cars

and here at 6 cars

No, you have a train with damaged drive mechanics. The more you use it without getting it repaired first, the more damage you cause to the mechanical parts. Powering the motor with a jammed drive will burn the motor too sooner or later. I think you should stop damaging it further and let the repair service fix it.

An undamaged Tomix H0 train will move freely and rather fast in both directions. (Tomix trains have a tendency to run faster at the same voltage than other brands)

Edited by kvp

No, you have a train with damaged drive mechanics. The more you use it without getting it repaired first, the more damage you cause to the mechanical parts. Powering the motor with a jammed drive will burn the motor too sooner or later. I think you should stop damaging it further and let the repair service fix it.

An undamaged Tomix H0 train will move freely and rather fast in both directions. (Tomix trains have a tendency to run faster at the same voltage than other brands)

oh crap. i got a damaged one. boo!!!!!! 

If the train is run for a longer period this way, the top cogs might get damaged or in the worst case stripped. This is very similar to the effects of running an N scale modemo tram on a too small (R103) curve.

Viktor - I find that most of my Modemo's will run on R103, so I do so.

My feeling is that if something derails, then this is an indication that the radius is too tight.

What is your evidence that running Modemo's on R103 causes damage?

==>>  Has anyone else experienced this?

What is your evidence that running Modemo's on R103 causes damage?

==>> Has anyone else experienced this?

The loud grinding sound of running a Modemo Hakone Tozan set through R103 curves. They can get through but it's very near the absolute minimum. Running on R140 produces no grinding or other unusual sounds so i wouldn't recommend running them on R103 for a longer period, but R140 is ok, even S curves. Also the sets would derail on most sharper vertical transitions if the couplers are not replaced by a tinner drawbar as they lack vertical freedom. On a gently sloping layout this would not be a problem but on a mini layout with 10% gradients and single car long transitons, this could be a problem. On the other hand, Tomix Hakone Tozan sets have no problem with the same track layout.

Yes, you should check if the mechanical parts in the motor car is broken or not. If the set is really new and has a valid warranty, then i would send it back for repairs as disassembling it voids the warranty.

ps: When a train is acting strange (strange noise, jerky movement, etc.) it should be stopped immediately and checked for problems as using it further could cause additional damage and an otherwise cheap and simple repair could turn into an expensive main part replacement.

• Like 1