Cab view of a container train going across Tokyo to Sumidagawa freight terminal:

If  someone could identify the exact route, that would be great!

• Like 4

Is the freight terminal at the end of this video the one next to Minami-Senju Station on the JR East Jōban Line?

Yes, it's the Sumida river freight yard. I do see the other station names on the video, but can't read them.

Is there a prize for the correct answer???

東京貨物ターミナル駅 Tokyo Freight Terminal
川崎貨物駅 Kawasaki Kamotsu
浜川崎駅 Hama-Kawasaki
尻手駅 Shitte
新鶴見信号場 Shin-Tsurumi
大崎駅 Osaki
新宿駅 Shinjuku
池袋駅 Ikebukuro
田端操駅 Tabata Misao Station
隅田川駅 Sumidagawa Freight Terminal

Looking at the Sumida Crossing “Freight Lines” page, here’s my guess:
Tokaido Freight Line
-> Nambu Branch Line
-> Yamanote Freight Line
-> Sumida Freight Branch / Joban Line

• Like 1

I can only offer a great 'Thank You!' for your help. If i understand it correctly, the train has to go south first then go around Tokyo to go north, thanks to the unused section north of the Tokyo terminal and the passenger only tracks around Tokyo station.

Nick_Burman

From Tokyo

Is there a prize for the correct answer???

東京貨物ターミナル駅 Tokyo Freight Terminal
川崎貨物駅 Kawasaki Kamotsu
浜川崎駅 Hama-Kawasaki
尻手駅 Shitte
新鶴見信号場 Shin-Tsurumi
大崎駅 Osaki
新宿駅 Shinjuku
池袋駅 Ikebukuro
田端操駅 Tabata Misao Station
隅田川駅 Sumidagawa Freight Terminal

Looking at the Sumida Crossing “Freight Lines” page, here’s my guess:
Tokaido Freight Line
-> Nambu Branch Line
-> Yamanote Freight Line
-> Sumida Freight Branch / Joban Line

The routing is south out of the TFT, through the tunnel under Haneda Airport, then past Kawasaki Freight Terminal and Hamakawasaki onto the Nambu line to Shitte, where the trains switches onto the Nambu Branch Line to access the Hinkaku Line (used by Yokosuka Line trains) at Musashi-Kosugi. From there, the train run NW to Osaki, where it enters the Saikyo Line. At Ikebukuro the train transfers to run onto the Yamanote Line, which it uses until Nipoori, where it transfers to the Joban Line for the final leg of the run.

This must be one of the very few freights doing this route.

Cheers NB

• Like 2

By the way, here's an interesting zenmen tenbou video I found on YouTube (download it before somebody pulls it down!) of a trip on a JR Freight train from Omiya Freight Yard to Shin-Tsurumi Freight Yard, including the use of the Musashino South Line from Fuchu-Hommachi Station with its long tunnels:

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

The train number is given as #2077 in the video, but I can't find that particular number on this route in my copy of the JR-F timetable.  There is a #77, which is one of a group of four r/t day between the two freight terminals, and serve as ferry trains for containers.

Note at 24:55, the train halts at a stub track. This is because there is no direct connection between the Yamanote Freight Line and the Joban Line.  The train has to reverse to access the branch that connects with the Joban Line.  As there is no run-around track here, another locomotive is added to the tail of the train, and pulls it to the connecting line, a top-and-tail operation.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

As there is no run-around track here, another locomotive is added to the tail of the train, and pulls it to the connecting line, a top-and-tail operation.

Was that loco standing by at that area, or along from beginning?  This is a good video but there are a lot of edits making it a little difficult to follow.

By the way, here's an interesting zenmen tenbou video I found on YouTube (download it before somebody pulls it down!) of a trip on a JR Freight train from Omiya Freight Yard to Shin-Tsurumi Freight Yard, including the use of the Musashino South Line from Fuchu-Hommachi Station with its long tunnels:

Wonder what those tunnels cost... :sad1:

bikkuri bahn

Was that loco standing by at that area, or along from beginning?  This is a good video but there are a lot of edits making it a little difficult to follow.

It arrived via the Joban Freight Line to meet the freight.  The rear locomotive is dropped off at a siding around Tabata.  The train continues on to the Sumidagawa terminal via the connection at Mikawashima.