US interurban models - steeplecab locos

marknewton

marknewton

So here's where I'm up to with the three steeplecab locos I'm building so far. Two from GE and one from Baldwin.

17902307463_b59937ac48_c.jpg

18524526371_90fe022a3c_c.jpg

The GE locos are based on the Model Railroad Warehouse injection-moulded plastic kits. The one in front is almost complete, being a fairly stock kit with just a few modifications to things like the running boards and the cab roof, and a lot of added detail. The second  incomplete loco has been lengthened by building a new underframe out of Evergreen styrene and grafting two kit cabs together to make one. Both are powered by very simple home-made mechanisms that use NWSL Stanton drives.

The Baldwin loco is an old MTS brass model that I bought secondhand as a non-runner. I didn't think the original mech was worth repairing, so I removed it and kept only the truck frames. It will also be repowered with Stanton drives. I removed on trolleypole and replaced it with a pantograph, otherwise the only real work to do on the body is to paint it in a less garish colour scheme.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

Very nice work Mark - particularly the handrails and grabs.  I've heard of the Model Railroad Warehouse shells, and might be tempted.

However, I've decided that I need to actually build something for my Japanese trams to run on before I get too distracted.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment, Charles. The MRW shells are nicely moulded kits that go together well with a minimum of fettling. The changes I've made are simply things I wanted to do differently, not because of any shortcoming or fault with the kit.

So here's where I'm up to with steeplecab number one. 

18645142996_8a2f6a63fa_c.jpg

18048781294_4f900c5173_c.jpg

18485292639_61266d670f_c.jpg

The truck frames are brass castings by Precision Scale which represent the trucks fitted to the earlier production GE locos. They're only stuck on temporarily while I decide whether to use them or the later standard GE frames which I have as whitemetal castings. I think I'll probably use these brass trucks to give some visual contrast with steeplecab number 2, which I'll definitely detail and finish as a later production loco using the GE standard trucks. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 3