The JR east reservations web page-can you make detailed requests?

i discovered this website and it looks like it is possible to reserve seats 1 month ahead of time for Shinkansen and limited express trains in the JR East region. This sounds like it would save a lot of hassle on the first day in japan. Has anybody used this? If so, can you ask for window seats on left side, right side, etc? Thank you

You can ask for window / aisle.

You can not specify left / right.

I have never used it, but I just tried to do a booking...

not new, is linked from the JR east website.  can only book 28 days out.  no good for railpass holders as you dont have a railpass in your hand at the time of booking.

bikkuri bahn

can only book 28 days out

Everyone can't book earlier than a month ahead, not just foreign railpass holders.

As for railpass holders, why not just reserve a seat with your credit card like everyone else?  310 yen is a pretty trivial fee (i.e. price of two 500ml PET bottles of Coca Cola or cup of coffee on the shinkansen), it's more than made up by the peace of mind gained.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

not new, is linked from the JR east website.  can only book 28 days out.  no good for railpass holders as you dont have a railpass in your hand at the time of booking.

You can book without the rail pass, but you must show it when you pick up the tickets.

You are not charged anything, unless you don't pick them up.

Everyone can't book earlier than a month ahead, not just foreign railpass holders.

As for railpass holders, why not just reserve a seat with your credit card like everyone else?  310 yen is a pretty trivial fee (i.e. price of two 500ml PET bottles of Coca Cola or cup of coffee on the shinkansen), it's more than made up by the peace of mind gained.

Except in my case, I have no clue about when I hit the ground at NRT, when I'd make it through customs, immigration, JR ticketing... My flight's schedule has already been changed twice since booking. Not sue what piece of mind is lost or gained. I've never ad trouble getting a seat on any train, yet alone a shinkansen. :icon_bounce:

Edited by 写真家