Senseki Line- all portions re-opened, line relocation

bikkuri bahn

ISHINOMAKI, Miyagi Prefecture--After a more than four-year wait, the tsunami-hit JR Senseki Line in Miyagi Prefecture resumed full operation on May 30, and local residents were out in force to mark the occasion.

Shortly before 5 a.m., dozens of locals and train buffs eagerly waited on platform one at Aoba-dori Station in Sendai for the first train to Ishinomaki. Many snapped photos of the electronic time schedule announcing the 05:01 departure to the city before boarding.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/recovery/AJ201505310013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDOEM90AQ7k

• Like 3

I found a cab view video of the "new" Senseki Line:

This is a "Special Express" service, but I don't know if it was special only for that specific day or runs regularly.

• Like 1

I was wondering about that too. The shiny part without any overgrown plants including the viaducts is clearly new (and a section rerouted from the original route), but I'm wondering whether the part with concrete sleepers and (presumably; it looks like) new catenary poles but overgrown with plants is also new. It looks like it's been renewed, but on existing track bed and through existing tunnels.

I know trains were still running to Matsushima, but didn't realize trains to other areas were not.

edit//  Need to read better.  It has it in the article about half way down.

Is the line out to Onagawa operational?

Edited by katoftw

A lot of the areas involved are in the "4 years after" thread I posted a day earlier.  And alot of the photos are of areas very close to both the old and new lines.