Kabuto Models; Details for your layout!

Kabutoni

Ha, cool! Is it ready to hit order?

Technically it is ready to order in any material I have opened up to be printed in, but since I have no idea how it will turn out, I can give no guarantees on the outcome. That's why I have put this in BETA stage. The N/H0-gauge version has also just been released!

P.s. the N/HO-gauge version is NOT a resized N-gauge version. It has significant differences in size of the vertical poles to give the smaller version extra stability and more realism.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

What are the heights for the small and medium Toris?

Respectively +/- 15.7 and 26.6mm. These sizes are on the pages of the products. Take off 0.5mm for the base.

toni,

are you going to run a test or should i go ahead and try one? I'm interested in trying out the new extreme detail they recently came out with.

some one did the great torii of miyajima at around 1/400 scale.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/UAA7E57NM/tori-gate?li=search-results-1&optionId=42287827

and in standstone at close to HO scale

http://www.shapeways.com/product/ULPZBEMJN/japanese-torii-gate?li=search-results-1&optionId=56030325

and a 17m mythical one from a game

http://www.shapeways.com/product/5VF5PBKM7/dragon-torii-gate-battleground-hd?li=search-results-1&optionId=13711932

but none of the plane jane run of the mill, all over the place toriis!

cheers

jeff

Jeff, you could order immediately if you like, but I'm also planning today to release a 'collection' of five different torii x5 as a cheap bulk order in both small and medium scale. The Hachiman torii was released because of their presence in Kyoto at the Fushimi Inari-taisha in the thousand.

The extreme detail should be worth the price, but personally, I'd first want to investigate the differences between the high detail print and the extreme detail print in N-scale. DMM does also do high detail printing, but how much it differs from Shapeways, I'd also like to see.

And yes, nobody has released a decently priced standard torii in any scale. Also not with the correct dimensions, as torii have some rules to stick by. Especially Myojin and Hachiman torii!

Edited by Toni Babelony

A quick heads-up on the newest releases of today!

These are all small (N-gauge) sized torii. Later this week, the same pattern is planned for the medium (N/H0-gauge) sized torii!

Polished Metallic Plastic - look like concrete with black gains as per normal weathered concrete.  But the description of polished metal is normal dulled chrome look.  Items will look like pics?

Also any tricks to beat shapeway's high shipping costs?

Edited by katoftw

Polished Metallic Plastic - look like concrete with black gains as per normal weathered concrete.  But the description of polished metal is normal dulled chrome look.  Items will look like pics?

These images are digital renders of the potential outcome of the product in this material. Here photographic examples of the material in use: https://www.shapeways.com/materials/metallic-plastic I have chosen this material as an option because it looks like granite, a material that torii can also be seen made from.

Thanks Toni.  Like some things in life, the name doesn't best describe the object/item/material.  But the examples you showed do look similar to granite/concrete.

Thanks Toni.  Like some things in life, the name doesn't best describe the object/item/material.  But the examples you showed do look similar to granite/concrete.

No problemo! I think this is this way because these materials aren't intended for printing such small objects as torii in 1/150. This material is in fact plastic with metal parts mixed in the material, but with a bit of imagination, it can be morphed in the mind to another material in your prefered scale. It's a little mind-trick to use the disadvantages of certain things to your advantage. ;)

Also any tricks to beat shapeway's high shipping costs?

unfortunately shipping from the us to most other countries gets expensive very fast. hard to send even a small part for less than $10. looks like they are using the global priority mail and get a bulk discount. airmail is still the cheapest for small stuff, but more and more limits on it now that they are trying to drive it all to global priority and express. same here within the states its getting hard to ship a small package first class.

perhaps there is a shapeways type company in Australia that toni could start a shop with as there seems to be quite a few Japanese trains modelers in Australia!

jeff

Toni,

thanks mucho! I'm going for a bulk set! tempted to try the extreme to see the difference in surface quality, I've got a number of ultra stuff i could compare it to, but actually the ultra detail works pretty well for n scale ill noodle on it.

jeff

Thank you for your interest Jeff!

Shipping is indeed expensive for small parts, so that's why I'm trying to pump out as many products as I can, so you can order loads of them in one go and save on shipping. Shapeways is also looking for production partners overseas, but I don't know how fast that development will go. This will however help on shipping costs overall. I'd like to stick to Shapeways to keep everything in one place and to keep it transparent for myself as well.

Anyway, speaking of developing new products:

Screen_Shot_2015_06_02_at_12_59_37.png

The first of a series of propane gas canisters in N and H0 gauge. These can be loaded on trucks, attached to houses/buildings, in sheds, depots, etc. These 'big' 50 liter canisters will be 9.6mm in size for N-gauge. Just imagine the size of the smaller ones I'm going to do!

These will be in sets of at least 20 or more to save on printing costs, as you will need a LOT of these. Every house has at least one or two attached to them. Apartment buildings have at least one per living unit.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Very cool Toni and great that a bunch can get ganged up for shipping, especially overseas.

Looking forward to the new bits!

Snow tire stacks?!

Jeff

Yep, both, you see them with just about every house in northern japan with snow!

Ac units of various sorts as well. Surprised not to see more of them on tomytec buildings.

Lots of various flower pots with plants around houses and small shops. I've turned small flower pots out of tooth picks in the roto tool, but printing them would be simple in a bunch of shapes and sizes.

Small folding signs on the sidewalk in front of businesses and the there are all the strange 3d figures shops put out on the streets!

Hollow lanterns would be grand to to drop in SMD leds to light up!

Various trash bins, mail boxes, fire hydrants are easy geometric shapes. Pro hobby did a nice recycling cabinet you see for the block out of etched metal, which is probably better than plastic printed for that.

Great you did the simplified sprue grid on the base,I'm got a couple of small bit from shapeways where they did a large solid base that was probably 10x the plastic that was in the actual pieces!

Cheers

Jeff

Hey Jeff, thank you for the suggestions. I've also been thinking about those details you've been talking about. From day-to-day I don't see them so much, as the shopping street at the station here has largely been converted to a mall-style building, but I'll take some notes on those kind of things when I'm out and about again.

Things I have in mind now:

- Domestic A/C units (three sizes for starters);

- Shop signs;

- Flower pots (round and square in different sizes);

- Park details:

• benches
  • water fountain
  • jungle gym (several sizes)
  • slide
  • rocking horses
  • etc.

- Stone lanterns;

- Walls and fences;

- Beverage crates;

- Mail boxes;

En fin, a LOT! That reminds me to bring some kind of measuring equipment along to put next to the objects I want to reproduce.

The hollow lanterns will be a bit difficult to make, as I have no experience with SMD LED's. I also don't know how tiny hollow poles will behave in UV cured acrylic. It is however on my mind to recreate those crazy shotengai lanterns you see everywhere in shopping streets.

Also, I thought it'd be incredibly wasteful and annoying to put everything on a solid base. It doesn't really provide more support (maybe even less), will increase material costs and it will be extremely irritating to remove the details from. It also doesn't look very progressive, as it imitates the bad design of amateur resin moulds. xD

Bookmarked! This is an interesting store Toni!

The thing is, I really have to agree with the high shipping cost. I mean US$19.99 for shipping an item that is US$5 doesn't work out right. Is there anyway we can order directly from you? I'm sure the shipping from Japan wouldn't be as high as this... I really hope to get these but the shipping is kinda...   

post-819-0-38056700-1433223263_thumb.jpg

Edited by JR 500系

Bookmarked! This is an interesting store Toni!

The thing is, I really have to agree with the high shipping cost. I mean US$19.99 for shipping an item that is US$5 doesn't work out right. Is there anyway we can order directly from you? I'm sure the shipping from Japan wouldn't be as high as this... I really hope to get these but the shipping is kinda...   

Shipping is indeed a problem... I'll see what I can do about this from home, but if so, I will only have shipping from me personally in high-grade acrylic detail, as I will then have a gigantic amount printed at DMM in Japan in one go and have it sent in fortified and padded envelopes all over the globe. For this to happen, I'd first have to create a fair bit more details.

Toni,

Ordered the big set at ultra detail, meant to do a smaller set at extreme (what are they going to use when the next higher resolution printer comes out?!) but forgot!

The little lanterns only need about a 1mm hole thru the center to slip the SMD led into. You can make the lanterns with stryene tubing with 1mm ID and just shape a bit into the lantern shape. Glows well enough with the led inside. But just the lantern alone to string up like you said across streets and such in bulk would be grand! But with 3d printing they can be actually hollow!

This is exactly what I wanted to do here with the 3d printing, but it was going to be a long time to get to it here, glad you are doing it and having fun with it and hope you can make a few bucks, err yen, on it!

Jeff

Hey Jeff, you can still cancel your order and combine the new orders for shipping IIRC at Shapeways.

I have no idea when the next level of printing is there, but FXD is pretty good for now with 0.1~0.2mm accuracy per 100mm. However, the problem as always is the stability of the material at a certain length. However, for N and H0-gauge it should be fine (looking at my previously printed material). Another worry (more pressing) is the heat of the SMD LED that may possibly affect the material it is mounted in. Acrylic has an 80˚C max. temperature before it becomes unstable, which is pretty low.

A good solution may be to create a solid lamp and mount a light source underneath the base of the lamp like so: http://www.rslaminates.com/images/subcategory/Acrylic-LED-Lighting-Sign-Table-Style-7987-.jpg_271012.jpeg So far, the only commerical applications are cheesy advertising signs, but I can see this also in use with lamps. The only thing that needs to be done is coat the parts by hand where no light should be seen. This way complex forms with multiple lights are also possible: http://led-axia.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/main_3.jpg The only problem is that it needs more space below the ground base to mount the light, but this can also be solved with 3D printing! Another positive side-effect is that you can use almost any light strength, as the construction will filter the light. I will have to experiment with this as well... Maybe it won't work as planned.

P.s. here is a little picture of the growing propane tank family! We now have mama and papa 50kg and 30kg, with the oldest daughter 20kg! They are expecting a little boy, which will be called 10kg ;) Tomorrow available on Shapeways!

Screen_Shot_2015_06_02_at_15_53_18.png

Yes, these can also be used for festival stands! Mobile and versatile! :D

Edited by Toni Babelony