Just got back from an excellent Japan 2015 Trip!

TestudoToTetsudo

TestudoToTetsudo

More Resort Shirakami:

Scenery along the coast:

DSC_0600.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

Waiting for the southbound at Juniko Station:

DSC_0689.jpg

And Lake Aioke at Juniko.  Juniko overall is an excellent gorgeous hiking day, the blue lake is just the highlight:

IMG_8505.jpg

And here's the bus you take from the station to the hiking area, during hiking season the buses seemed timed to the Resort Shirakami trains enabling a nice day trip from Akita:

DSC_0625.jpg

And coach interiors of two of the Resort Shirakami trainsets.  My Dad and I rode one on one day coming back from Kanagi, and the family rode the other the next day coming back ftrom Juniko:

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

Edited by TestudoToTetsudo
  • Like 2
TestudoToTetsudo

Tohoku Shinkansen GranClass:

The number on the phone is good ole' #murica miles per hour, not KPH:

DSC_0763.jpg

GranClass seats:

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

And the E6 Shinkansen's Ordinary Class:

DSC_0732.jpg

DSC_0737.jpg

• Like 1
TestudoToTetsudo

A day to Wakayama Dentetsu and Kishi to visit the place that the late, great Tama the Cat made famous.  

We got the Omocha (Toy) Densha both directions between Wakayama and Kishi:

DSC_0831.jpg

The train featured toy vending machines, to the left of Mrs. TestudoToTetsudo:

DSC_0846.jpg

Clean shot of the interior of the Wakayama Dentetsu's Omocha Densha.  On the way back a kid took a nap in the crib like structure:

DSC_0852.jpg

We visited about a month before Tama passed away.  Tama was on vacation this day, but Nitama was holding the Kishi job down:

DSC_0864.jpg

DSC_0883.jpg

My better half and I in front of Kishi Station:

IMG_8667.jpg

Across the street and about 150 feet/100m south of the Kishi station was an excellent cafe with a really nice staff:

DSC_0870.jpg

Finally, on the way back to Himeji from Wakayama, we rode the Kuroshio.  The EMUs were old, the real highlight here was this bit of safety signage I am yet to find in any other country:

IMG_8688.jpg

• Like 1
TestudoToTetsudo

Akita - Kanagi Day Trip featuring the Tsugaru Railroad:

Akita station.  The TV screen on the right ran a video loop encouraging couples to have their weddings at the Hotel Metropolitan Akita, and kept playing the song from Beauty and the Beast (in English):

DSC_0543.jpg

Riding the Tsugaru Limited Express from Akita to Hirosaki, the EMU on the left.  The commuter EMU on the right had what sounded like a steam whistle, and mostly carried high school students into Akita.  Sad to see this part of Japan losing population, downtown Akita felt dense enough to be lively but also small enough to not feel overwhelming.

DSC_0310.jpg

From Hirosaki to Goshogawara, it was the JR Gono Line and an old DMU with openable windows through apple country:

DSC_0342.jpg

From Goshogawara to Kanagi, Dad and I rode the Tsugaru Railroad, seen here at Kanagi.  The agent here ran the batons for their baton train control system from cab to cab when the two trains met here.  One baton was a little shovel, the other a tennis racket.

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

The Tsugaru Tetsudo trains themselves had miniature libraries at the ends of each DMU car, next to the farebox:

DSC_0388.jpg

At Goshogawara Station, some floats for summer festivals rested throughout the rest of the year:

DSC_0467.jpg

• Like 3
TestudoToTetsudo

Those are the main train ride highlight photos, I took lots of trains around Tokyo and the Tokaido Shinkansen, but I feel like the highlight of those isn't measured in photos, it's the breadth of service.  I'll post some other highlights over the weekend so stay tuned (with a much shorter wait I hope) for the rest!

Great pics.  So was this back in June?  How was the weather?

edit: Ah, May.  Nevermind :)

Edited by miyakoji

Thank you for the pictures! Looks great!

The Shirakmai and the Gono lines are something I would love to try the next time I go... You got the 485 series in Super Hakucho colour for the Tsuguru, usually they also run with the 751 series...  The gran class was really amazing...

I'm guessing the Kuroshio you took was the older 381 series EMU in blue colour?  

fantastic shots. Juniko looks amazing place. My wife and I enjoy walking or hiking. In fact my wife completed the Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand in February!

TestudoToTetsudo

fantastic shots. Juniko looks amazing place. My wife and I enjoy walking or hiking. In fact my wife completed the Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand in February!

Thanks.  Yes, it is a great trip and if you're in Northern Japan I'd recommend a Juniko day trip as a great way to combine hiking and trains.  The Resort Shirakami trains make this a nice day trip from either Akita or Aomori (although if you try to do an Akita-Aomori day trip with daytime stopover in Juniko realize the lockers may not be large enough to store the suitcases you might have on an international trip).

TestudoToTetsudo

Thank you for the pictures! Looks great!

The Shirakmai and the Gono lines are something I would love to try the next time I go... You got the 485 series in Super Hakucho colour for the Tsuguru, usually they also run with the 751 series...  The gran class was really amazing...

I'm guessing the Kuroshio you took was the older 381 series EMU in blue colour?  

Thanks and yes that sounds right, 381 series on the Kuroshio.

TestudoToTetsudo

E7/W7 Shinkansen and its Green Car Seats:

IMG_8989.jpg

IMG_8949.jpg

Reserved Ordinary on the N700-7000 Kyushu Shinkansen:

IMG_8860.jpg

Ordinary Seats on the 800-series Tsubame:

IMG_8838.jpg

Massive 10-story Station City at Kyoto, looking down from the escalator and looking up the LED lit stairs:

IMG_8782.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

Refurbished E653 EMU on the Inaho:

DSC_0286.jpg

SL themed Ekiben purchased in Niigata and enjoyed on the Inaho:

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

• Like 1