small Japanese layout

Blobby

hi - I'm completely new to n gauge and Japanese models - I haven't very much space so I'm working on a 4 by 2 foot layout (120cm by 60) tho I can make this a bit bigger if needed. My preference is for a crowded city scene, possibly explore DCC and to be able to expand at a later date

The layout 2x400001 on this site: http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2. htm caught my eye as being a good framework to adapt. Has anybody looked at/used this one or have any comments?

Cheers

Bob

post-3155-0-74361900-1432559673_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's a nice american prototype freight layout. Doesn't have much in common with Japan though. Imho, you have to decide if you want passenger only or freight too, commuter trains, expresses, then what operations/running do you want to do. You have to option for moving buses and trams too.

For example, for a crowded city with a commuter line only, you might want to look for an elevated mainline with a yard at street level or do what is common in Tokyo and make the terrain rise and drop around the track so it can be an elevated line on one side, run at street level in the other, then go into a cut or even a tunnel on the third side. This allows the track to stay level while having a bit of everything. There is not much space for ramps, at least for ones that most trains can climb.

Since you have only 120x60 cm and the suggested turning radius for most japanese mainline trains are around R280, this means you can squeeze in a single or a double track oval hugging the edges, while train lengths have to remain between 2 and 4 regular 20 meter cars.

An example layout with Tomix tracks:

post-1969-0-70942900-1432570248.png

You can add a yard or a terminus to the two stub tracks and a double track station with curved side platforms to the right edge. Building a layout this small might need a lot of kitbashing or scratchbuilding, but the one above is doable with mostly off the shelf parts.

post-1969-0-70942900-1432570248_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi Viktor

Thanx for your reply - I should have said that I was going to knock out the freight spurs and use the elevated section as an elevated station - I take your point about the ramp tho - I like the idea of elevated tracks - when I modeled American my main interest was NYC's elevated west side freight line. To be honest almost everything Japanese I've seen has been passenger and I think my area of interest will be commuter/tram based. I could stretch the baseboard to be 150x75 but that sadly is the maximum for the moment. I have much to learn. I must say that I'm really impressed with this forum - I've found out loads already!

Edited by Blobby

I like both of the designs posted, really.

If I were to start over, I'd go with something along these lines for sure. Simple loops with some switching action as well. It lets you do some operations, but you can also just watch trains roll if you want, too.

I agree I like both of them and there is a lot to be said for just watching the trains roll

This is the layout that sparkrd my interest in Japanese N

This is the city module from that layout

ville.jpg

I'm looking at ways of modifying this as a standalone layout with options to expand at a later date. The module size is 160 x 70cm

In the meantime I've bought myself a Kato unitram starter kit to play with!

post-3155-0-54520200-1433228087_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blobby
  • Like 1

I have an idea that would allow you to use the layout as a standalone point to point / loop layout with two stations and the possibility to extend it later. It has the ground station on the front, the elevated station in the middle and an S curved ramp from the ground to the elevated station. You can start a train from one of the stations, run it around the loop and then terminate it at the other station without the need to back the station. The layout can be extended on the right, but you can move the turnouts to the left. The track system is Tomix, since only they have the R280 straight/curved turnouts that are used for the loop and the S curve. The curves are large enough for most japanese trains.

post-1969-0-13538400-1433238815.png

post-1969-0-13538400-1433238815_thumb.png

• Like 2

Hey Vicktor

You're a star - Thank you so much for a fab layout plan, I can't wait to get started. I presume this is designed to fit on 160x70 baseboard (I can't read the part numbers on the png file)

Thanx again

Bob

Yes, sorry about the numbers. The curves are Tomix C280, except the 2 large ones in the middle of the S which are C354. The straight ones are S140 and S280, while the smallest ones are S33 (x3) and are two S72.5-s to get the two low level station tracks the exact length. It's also possible to add two S140-s to the elevated station to make it 4 cars long.

Hello,

If you want to make a small Japanese layout then you should first look for a small Japanese railway!

Fair enough, but not so easy for those of us who don't live in Japan. Are there source books which describe (including track arrangements) "small Japanese railways"? For many of us, they would have to be in English.

• Like 2

I'm completely new to Japanese modelling and Japanese railways in general and at the moment and have a lot to discover - However I have always been fascinated by big city layouts and elevated tracks in particular so whatever I settle on will include these elemnets - maybe not the big tho!

I'm really bowled over by the layout kvp did for me but Tomix track is difficult to locate in the UK - I've found some on ebay but the suffix is (G) rather than the normal (F) and the item number is 1131 - does anybody know the difference?

Edited by Blobby

Small japanese railways are either tramlines or out in the country, so nowhere near urban areas. They are great if you like trams or ricefields.

There are two kinds of tomix track, old style and finetrack. The old ones are very limited with few types like kato, so it's better to stay away from them. It easier and much cheaper to get tracks from Japan.

We have here two great shop owners in this forum. For me, most of the time Nariichi helps me get things that are not available outside Japan. He can help you even if you don't know exactly what you need. (http://www.jnsforum.com/community/user/1765-nartak/)

http://www.modeltrainplus.net/

http://www.loco1hobby.net/en/

And then there are quite a few big ones: (just stay away from ebay sellers, they have a 10x price multiplier)

http://1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

I've had good luck with Hobby Search. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

They have a good selection of both Kato and Tomix track along with a vast selection of buildings, vehicles and various detail parts. (I've been mostly ordering Kato track and Bandai Shorties.)

It usually takes about 7 to 12 days for my orders to arrive here in North Dakota, but they do provide good tracking information.

Edited by Mark

Hello Mr Blobby,

You will find many small railways are actually located in urban areas.  Several spring to mind:

1. The ever popular, Enoshima railway, south of Tokyo.  It was the inspiration for Doug Coster's award winning "Enoshima" layout in Australia.

2. The Tokyu Setagaya Line in Tokyo.

3. Keifuku Railway, Kyoto.

Of course, Kyoto is renowned for it's private railways.  Some of the larger ones include Kintetsu, Keihan, and the pristine Hankyu.

But the most famous small private railway is not in an urban area.  Of course, I must be referring to Hakone Tozan Railway.  Modelling Hakone is popular amongst hobbyists in Japan and always results in a compact, dramatic layout.

Of course, Google Image, Google Earth and Wikipedia will help you understand a little about each of my suggestions.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I would like to mention, that the Enoden (Enoshima Railway), the Setagaya line and Randen (Keifuku railway) are all tram lines. The Enoshima is a more interurban one with high floor units, while the Setagaya line and the Randen are classic urban trams. The Randen even uses old streetcars. The Hakone Tozan is a non japanese style mountain line (it even runs on standard gauge tracks), and has more common in style with the swiss RhB than a classic japanese railway. All are great, but quite different. Also, the 'small' layout we are talking about is 160x70, so actually larger than a typical 4x2 feet door layout (120x60). In this size, it's possible to build a layout for full sized japanese trains, including trains made up of 3 to 5 cars of the common 20 meter long emus/dmus (20 meter is 140 mm in Nj, so one Tomix S140 straight is one car long) Incidently most starter and basic sets have 3 to 5 cars in them.

I would like to mention, that the Enoden (Enoshima Railway), the Setagaya line and Randen (Keifuku railway) are all tram lines. The Enoshima is a more interurban one with high floor units, while the Setagaya line and the Randen are classic urban trams.

The current Setagaya line trains/trams and stations are also high floor though, although both the high-floor (but formerly low-floor) Setagaya line and the low-floor Randen are officially tramways. Enoden is officially a railway I believe, but in practice it is very similar to the Setagaya line for example. Enoden actually even has street-running section while the Setagaya line doesn't. It's all more of a theoretic matter.

• Like 2

There are plenty of small railways dotted across Japan.  Speaking english and not Japanese is not an excuse to not know about them.  This forum is english based and many have come up in threads.

Being that you are building a small layout, then the urban section of the layout will be smallist, so easy to model smilar to what you see around Japan.

Some more railways not mentioed that you can google:-

Kumamoto Electric Railway

Shimabara Railway

Kanto Railway

And there are many more that someone else will most likely bring to our attention.

The current Setagaya line trains/trams and stations are also high floor though, although both the high-floor (but formerly low-floor) Setagaya line and the low-floor Randen are officially tramways. Enoden is officially a railway I believe, but in practice it is very similar to the Setagaya line for example. Enoden actually even has street-running section while the Setagaya line doesn't. It's all more of a theoretic matter.

Thank you for your support Mr Densha,

My intent was, of course, to draw attention to several well-known and easily identifiable railways in Japan that might interest the OP.

Overnight, I reflected upon a recent trip to Kyoto, where I enjoyed the Eizan Electric Railway.  Of course, you will remember it starts in the northern suburbs of Kyoto and quickly enters the mountains.  It is always worth a trip in the spring or autumn.  http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8F%A1%E5%B1%B1%E9%9B%BB%E9%89%84  Please use Google Translate or the translate feature in Chrome.  :P

Some more railways not mentioed that you can google:-

Kanto Railway

Searching for the Kanto Railway, I found a lot of images of the Isumi Railway - I don't know what their relationship is, if any. 

And here I thought the Randen was supposed to be colorful in spring!

You'd almost think they paint their cars to blend in with the spring scenery - although the roof should be pink instead of gray  ;-)

gallery_941_135_188564.jpg

• Like 3