Anyone make a Mazda Bongo Friendee in N?

Welshbloke

Welshbloke

Hope this is the right place to ask this!

I've just bought a 1:1 scale example of these weird and strangely practical vans (originally only sold in Japan, but very popular as personal imports to other RHD countries), so was wondering if anyone knows of an N scale model of them?

Davo Dentetsu

Not a huge fan of the Bongos.  I've had one break on me once too often...

tumblr_nh831iSIhe1s9yxy6o1_500.jpg

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of the Bongos.  I've had one break on me once too often...

Cheers Davo, I had a good laugh at that

Davo Dentetsu

Cheers Davo, I had a good laugh at that

Suppose I can laugh about it now.  Failing fuel pump on Boxing Day during a 40+degC day.  Joyeux Noel, indeed!

Welshbloke

Yeah, the Friendee is an 8-seater MPV/camper van thing from the factory, with or without an electric rising roof (with the wonderful name of "Auto Free Top"). Mine's now a six seater as it has a small kitchen module bolted in place of one of the third row seats. Also sold as the Ford Freda for some reason. I knew about the Tomica diecast models but was wondering if anyone made a smaller one, I can find things like the Toyota Hiace but no Bongos.

Main problems with them here seem to be rust and overheating, the latter is usually caused by a failed coolant hose leading to a cracked cylinder head. Luckily mine seems to have had a cooling system overhaul shortly before I bought it, so hopefully it'll behave itself!

What! Mazda made these? post-265-0-94996900-1432556073_thumb.png

For non-Brits, for those of a certain age this is what the name Bongo immediately brings to mind. (Pity the poor Bongo...)

Are those Bongos in the 3rd row from Tomytec Car Collection Vol.7?

10086013a.jpg

Might be a bit hard to find now though.