Traveling green class between 3/27/16 and 4/3/16 how busy?

Woo! That's a lot of riding. If you can swing it. Make a video blog on YouTube about your adventures... Though, all dependent on your wifi puck. In the USA Verizon charges $100 for 10gb and in Egypt Vodaphone charges $40 for 20gb. Hence, don't gobble up your memory as we can wait. You have checkout that book call Japan By Rail over at Amazon?

I see your going to be riding the Shinkansen MAX, what type of trucks/bogies do they have?

Oh, ya know Eric Clapton is going to be playing in Japan but at only one place in 2016. No tellin what those tickets must cost. LOL

Google "Shinkansen Max"... Look at the coaches and the whole she bang. Do make sure you guys have take a bag or two of Doreto's.

As for the bogies - I just haven't had a good look at them myself.

The Doretos are for those middle of the night moments.

There might be some videos on YouTube of some of these routes. Hence, all you need now is to stop by a Japanese resturant. During the slow part of the day and see if some of the waitress can help you guys.

Hence, the Shinkansen window watch may not be for you as it maybe too fast.

Edited by Kb4iuj
  • Like 1

Interesting covers.... Wonder if someday they'll have two guys on a train in their window seats. Ya know, this idea of riding the trains. Especially, newbies in a place they've never been to... Along with new stations all the time. If it were me I'd allow for more time or hire a guide and take them along on these grueling rides.

Let's hope they strap a GoPro on their chest so we can see them interacting with everybody and the fllood of people going in all directions. Talk about confusion and hardly anybody speaking English.

In my opinion the trip is too short. As like most of you guys are saying to get ones bearing one has to walk around the area so just to see something other than a train station and shops inside the station. If you've ever been to the Amtrak in Chicago, their bi-level station is sort of confusing. And that's a small station.

Edited by Kb4iuj

Interesting covers.... Wonder if someday they'll have two guys on a train in their window seats. Ya know, this idea of riding the trains. Especially, newbies in a place they've never been to... Along with new stations all the time. If it were me I'd allow for more time or hire a guide and take them along on these grueling rides.

Let's hope they strap a GoPro on their chest so we can see them interacting with everybody and the fllood of people going in all directions. Talk about confusion and hardly anybody speaking English.

In my opinion the trip is too short. As like most of you guys are saying to get ones bearing one has to walk around the area so just to see something other than a train station and shops inside the station. If you've ever been to the Amtrak in Chicago, their bi-level station is sort of confusing. And that's a small station.

I appreciate the positive support.  Me and my buddy or a lot more proficient at getting around than you think.  I have viewed you tube videos of Shinjuku and tokyo stations.  Yes they are huge.  But if I do the appropriate research and know which exit to use to get to my hotel, I can follow signs and work my way in the correct directons.  If I make a wrong turn, so what.  I willl figure it out. 

I've used Shinjuku Station pretty intensively since 1993, and particularly during the last 10 years, and am still constantly finding passageways and exits I never knew existed. On the other hand, the west side, where the hotels mainly are, is no more onerous to navigate than Montreal's subterranean passages. Just watch out for the Taiwanese tour group who have been stuck down there since 2007 after attempting to change trains from the Keio Shinsen/Toei Shinjuku line platform to the Seibu Shinjuku line, a transfer which often results in hospitalisation for fatigue and/or insanity.

• Like 1

Anybody know if Steve4031 is going on this trip? Or has the dates been remassaged?

The dates were massaged a bit. I am departing tomorrow from ORD on OZ 235 to ICN connecting to Narita arriving on Sunday. 

I have required the itinerary considerably. 

Here iis my Itinerary.  Call me crazy, but I am gonna do it as is.  

Friday April 15

Asiana 235

Dp Ohare

11:55 p.m.

Saturday April 16

Cross international Dateline

Sunday April 17

Ar Seoul

4:00 A.m.

Asiana 102.

Dp Seoul

9:00 A.m.

Ar Tokyo Nrt

11:00 A.m.

Pick up portable hotspot

Validate rail pass and make green class reservations for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Narita Express #

Dp Tokyo NRT

1:14 p.m.

Ar Tokyo

2:14 p.m.

JR Yamanote Line(Outer loop) for OSAKI

Dp. Tokyo

2:22 p.m.

Ar. Shimbashi

2:25 p.m.

Yurikamome for TOYOSU

Dr. Shimbashi

2:35 p.m.

Ar. Daiba

2:50 p.m.

Ride the Yanote Circle line and some subway lines#

Hilton Odaiba

Monday April 18

SHINKANSEN KOMACHI 7

DP Tokyo

8:40 a.m.

Ar Akita

12:24 p.m.

Track 20

LTD. EXP INAHO 10

DP. Akita

12:58 p.m.

Ar. Niigata

4:32 p.m.

track 3

SHINKANSEN MAX TOKI 336

Dp Niigata

4:51 p.m.

Ar Tokyo

7:00 p.m.

track 13

Hilton Odaiba

Tuesday April 19

SHINKANSEN HIKARI 463

Depart Tokyo

8:03 a.m.

Arrive Osaka

11:03 a.m.

track 19

track 21

SHINKANSEN SAKURA 555

Depart Shin-Osaka

11:59 a.m.

Arrive Hiroshima

1:26 p.m.

track 20

SHINKANSEN SAKURA 564

Depart Hiroshima

7:03 p.m.

Arrive Osaka

8:34 p.m.

track 14

Lodging: Osaka Courtyard

Wednsday April 20

SHINKANSEN Hikari 493

Dp Shin-Osaka

8:14 a.m.

Ar Okayama

9:17 a.m.

track 21

track 22

LTD. EXP NANPU 5 #

Dp Okayama

10:05 a.m.

Ar Kochi

12:29 p.m.

track 6

Tram

Depart KOCHIEKIMAE

1:14 p.m.

Ar. HARIMAYABASH

1:18 p.m.

Tram

DP. HARIMAYABASHI

1:21 p.m.

Ar. KAGAMIGAWABASHI

1:45 p.m.

tram

dp. KAGAMIGAWABASHI

2:07 p.m.

Ar. Ino

2:32 p.m.

tram

dp. INO

2:37 p.m.

Ar. KAGAMIGAWABASHI 3:02 p.m.

tram

dp. KAGAMIGAWABASHI

3:03 p.m.

Ar. HARIMAYABASH

3:21 p.m.

tram

DP. HARIMAYABASHI

3:31 p.m.

Ar. KOCHIEKIMAE

3:36 p.m.

LTD. EXP NANPU 16 #

Dp Kochi

4:13 p.m.

Ar Okayama

6:47 p.m.

Dp Okayama

7:44 p.m.m

Ar Shin-Osaka

8:34 p.m.

Thursday April 21

SHINKANSEN HIKARI 514

Dp. Shin-Osaka

9:16 a.m.

Ar. Nagoya

10:25 a.m.

track 27

track 14

LTD. EXP (WIDE VIEW) HIDA 7

Dp. Nagoya

10:48 a.m.

Ar. Toyama

2:44 p.m.

track 11

track 2

SHINKANSEN HAKUTAKA 570

Dp. Toyama

3:36 p.m.

Ar. Tokyo

6:12 p.m.

track 12

track 21

SHINKANSEN HIKARI 527

Dp. Tokyo

6:33 p.m.

Ar. Shin-Osaka

9:26 p.m.

track 19

Friday April 22

SHINKANSEN SAKURA 547

Dp Shin-Osaka

8:04 a.m.

Ar Hakata

10:40 a.m.

track 20

track 15

LTD. EXP KAMOME 17

Dp Hakata

10:55 a.m.

Ar Nagasaki

12:49 p.m.

track 4

LTD. EXP KAMOME 38

Dp Nagasaki

5:20 p.m

Ar Hakata

7:14 p.m

track 4

SHINKANSEN SAKURA 570

Dp Hakata

7:39 p.m.

Ar Shin-Osaka

10:21 p.m.

track 14

track 26

Saturday April 23

SHINKANSEN SAKURA 547

Dp Shin-Osaka

8:04 a.m.

KUMAMOTO

11:19 a.m.

track 20

track 13

LTD. EXP KYUSHU ODAN TOKKYU 3

Dp KUMAMOTO

11:39

Ar Beppu

2:42 p.m.

Track 0

none

LTD. EXP SONIC 42

Dp Beppu

3:20 p.m.

Ar. KOKURA

4:37 p.m.

none

track 4

SHINKANSEN SAKURA 562

Dp. Kokura

4:55 p.m.

Ar Shin-Osaka

7:24 p.m.

Track 13

Track 25

Sunday April 24

LTD. EXP HARUKA 27

Dp. Shin-Osaka

1:00 p.m.

Ar. Kix

1:50 p.m.

track 11

Asiana 113

Dp Kix

5:00 p.m.

Ar INC

6:50 p.m.

Asiana 236

Dp INC

8:20 p.m.

Ar ORD

7:05 p.m.

So which trains are you taking and have you added any rerouting. You do know Eric Clapton is in town. So you might contact them at his website so as to find out if he forgot to bring something only found in Chicago. And you might contact the folks at Kato USA.

I sent them my C11-C56 sound card purchased on eBay and they sent it back to me unfixed, then I sent the circuit board to Soundtraxx and they either kept it or tossed it.

Well, looks like an adventure for you. If all that travel gets to you. You might do what the locals do just go hang out near the mainline and watch the trains go flying by. Maybe, Kyde & Eric might be in town (from YouTube) and you could be in one of their videos. As look at some of the stuff they eat!

Good luck with it.  Looks like a whirlwind trip.  Hopefully you do stop to smell the tulips (currently in season) if you can.

The Kumamoto day might have to be altered.  Dunno when the Kyushu shinkansen and Hohi Line will come back on line.  The Japanese are normally quite quick at rebuilding. They have had a lot of practice.

Edited by katoftw

Not so much an earthquake as an ongoing series across Kyushu, probably going to be a lot of disruption for the forseeable future.

It 5:30 pm CST and according to the Apple clock it's 7:30 am Tokyo time. So my guess he's wait for his next flight. I might add I slept like a rock last night in my bed. How was the wifi on the trip over ?

When you eat out, do take a photo of the place and try and get a photo of what your gonna eat. If you can get a photo of the back of the building great - so as to model it. That'd be fun.