Old EMU in scrapping area?

yakumo381

Anyone know what this old EMU is that I photographed today at the JRW works next to Hatabu Station?

Was next to scrapping area so may not be around for much longer?

post-265-0-34620600-1432382517_thumb.png

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

It's a kumoha 11 that's been kept there at the Shimonoseki General Rolling Stock Depot since it was retired in 1976 from the Kabe Line in Hiroshima Pref.

• Like 1

It's a kumoha 11 that's been kept there at the Shimonoseki General Rolling Stock Depot since it was retired in 1976 from the Kabe Line in Hiroshima Pref.

Did they use it for something, or did they have some other plan for it?  Of course, soon they'll be able to display it in Kyoto, but I don't think they had that in mind in 1976 :grin.  It'll need some sandblasting, though :)

bikkuri bahn

The same facility also has kumoha 42001, ex-Onoda Line, which is in much better condition- I rode it once back in 2003, right before it was retired.  I dunno what their plan is for kumoha 11, though it would be nice if it was sent to Kyoto and cosmetically restored.

Welshbloke

I wonder if they use it as a depot shunter?

More than a few elderly units have been protected from the cutting torch around the world by a manager's realisation that they could offer it that legitimate (in the eyes of the accountants) job.

Sorry don't have a picture but are these both similar or of the same agae as the old EMU that is on a plinth under a canopy just inside the main entrance to Suita depot?