Japanese model train layout suggestions

NihonNoTetsudōMokei

NihonNoTetsudōMokei

Hello, I am new to the forums. I have been wanting to build a Japanese model train layout for about a year now, but never really got the chance because I've been busy with school and other things. the one thing that keeping me from starting this project is what kind of layout i want to do. I like the modern city part of japan and also the shinkansen, but also like the steam era locomotives such as the C61 and C62. If anyone could give me suggestions on what to do, i would be happy and thankful.

• Like 1

You sound like you wanna build something very similar to mine.  I'm building a modern layout and the way to get steam locos into it is to use the weekend excursions trains.  I plan to use coaches and locos from Takasaki Depot.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9575-sldlel-jr-east-excursion-trains/

D51 498, C61 20, DD51 842, EF65 501, EF64 1001 plus some old brown coaches and blue series 12 coaches.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
NihonNoTetsudōMokei

do

You sound like you wanna build something very similar to mine.  I'm building a modern layout and the way to get steam locos into it is to use the weekend excursions trains.  I plan to use coaches and locos from Takasaki Depot.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9575-sldlel-jr-east-excursion-trains/

D51 498, C61 20, DD51 842, EF65 501, EF64 1001 plus some old brown coaches and blue series 12 coaches.

Thanks! do you know of any good layout plans? i am gonna use a 12x8 ft table which is shaped like a U. 

Remember to think about how far it is possible for you to reach across your modules.  For me, it is not possible to reach more than 750mm.  But then I am only 5'6" tall. 

Edited by gerryo
  • Like 1
NihonNoTetsudōMokei

If you guys know of any inspirational layouts or pictures that would help me?

HantuBlauLOL

Steamers as a joyful train. Never gets old in Japan. You can run them in any era.

There are so many beautiful layout threads inside this subforum, go check some :)

• Like 2

You can substitute different track to wherever you need it, particularly if you have a single line portion.  Neither Kato nor Tomix track really have a brown track bed anymore, but that doesn't stop you trying to paint it.  There are also rail marker pens to paint the sides of tracks brown too.  Otherwise you can also use Peco flex track to get a more derilect look.

NihonNoTetsudōMokei

I'm using kato unitrack for my layout. What kind of rolling stock do you use on your layout VJM?

I have no particular focus to my collection, so I simply run whatever takes my fancy.  The centre pair of tracks on my layout see Shinkansens and high-speed/express trains, while the outer loop runs locals, freights and anything else.

• Like 1
NihonNoTetsudōMokei

kind of want to do something like this layout. i want to have a single branch line to run local trains

Try and get an idea of the sort of size and rough trackplan of what you want first.  Don't get carried away by the scenery, otherwise you will just keep on looking and looking and never get anywhere.

Did you want continuous running?  How many tracks?  Shunting? Yards? Length of station?  Will it be standalone layout in the centre of the room, or follow the walls?  How many levels?  These are some of the things that you want to look at before coming back to the scenery.

• Like 1