Suggestions for a one day Shinkansen trip from Kobe and back

Just found this topic & plan to read through the posts, but wanted to ask for suggestions for a trip we're planning in March 2016.  

My wife and I are planning to take a 14 night cruise that will be stopping in China, Korea, and Japan.  

The ship starts in Hong Kong, then stops in Shanghai, Dalian, Xingang, Seoul, Nagasaki, Kobe, and ends in Yokohama.  At most ports we arrive early in the morning, but sail at 6:00PM sharp.

However we'll be in Kobe from 7AM until 11PM, so I thought that might be the best day to squeeze in a ride on a Shinkansen, but we have to be back on the ship before it sails that night.

Not sure about the distances and time needed, but I was hoping to include one of the many attractions in the trip, and perhaps make it a three legged day trip?

Thanks in advance!

Alan

Edited by Mauka
bikkuri bahn

Is your primary aim general sightseeing or riding the shinkansen?  I ask because the Kansai area is full of attractions that don't require you to take the shinkansen.  Of course, you can take a short ride to Kyoto on it.

This is likely to be our one and only trip to Japan and I'm hoping to combine a ride on the Shinkansen with a destination attraction that's of interest to us both. Our preference is for less urban nature attractions.  

For example a "cable car" sightseeing trip or nature park would be ideal.

Thanks!

Edited by Mauka

Mauka, I'd recommend first that you get a clear idea on how can you reach from the port to shin-kobe, which is the shinkansen station you need to go to, this might add some non trivial time.

It really depends on how long you want to be traveling that day. For example, you can reach Miyajima in about 2hs including the ferry from shin-kobe, this is a beautiful island close to hiroshima, very natural, temples, deer, etc. It's perfectly doable with the amount of time you have.

If you want closer you can go to kyoto which is also beautiful and you can visit many places, but it's a big city and what you gain in closeness you might loose traveling the city. Also not far away is Himeji, which opened the main keep last march after about 6 years of restoration, this is surrounded by gardens and it's very interesting. To these places you won't really get a lot of shinkansen ride and it might actually be a longer trip than just taking a normal train (depending on which station in Kobe you start)

I recommend you try some trip itineraries using www.hyperdia.com/en

Also, I actually liked Kobe, so you might want to consider staying, but I understand your desire to ride the shinkansen. I'd do Miyajima, from the 16hs you have, if you save 6hs for traveling (which is more than enough) + 2hs of buffer just in case, you still have 8hs in the island.

• Like 2

This is interesting! A cruise trip over 3 countries!

For Kobe, im not so familiar, but here's a good site for interesting things to see in Kobe: http://www.feel-kobe.jp/_en/sightseeing/result.php?gid=60

Here's some information regarding Kobe Port: http://www.kobe-meriken.or.jp/english/html/access/index.html

It seems that you can take the Port Liner to Downtown Chinatown and then transfer to a Shinkansen from there.

A shinkansen experience could be from Shin-Kobe to Kyoto and back. Information from Hyperdia, It will cost you around 3,300yen for 1 person 1 way, means 6600yen x 2 = 13,200yen for both of you two ways. It's around a 30 mins ride, plus you can also do some very short sightseeing at Kyoto if you like.

Hope that helps!

I would say Miyajima/Hiroshima,  or Kyoto.  You can go to Miyajima and ride the trams in Hiroshima to see the city and visit the A bomb park.

Another thing I remembered, not sure how to check, but I remember there is a significant amount of tunnels between Kyoto and Osaka and probably up to Kobe, so that might be a bummer. Someone with better knowledge will have to confirm.

Could you plan some extra stay time in Yokohama?  That way you could take a loop trip to Kamakura/Enoshima and the Hakone Tozen which has a cable car at the end.

Kyoto is probaly the closest and easiet to get to.  Visit Arashiyama for example.

But since you wont be booking tickets until you arrive in Kobe.  I would have a backup plan ready to go.  Shinkansens dont book up, but you may not get the prefect early morning trip and late evening return trip, making travelling outside of Kobe not worth it.

Kobe has a fee cablecars and ropeways, Chinatown etc. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3554.html

Great information - thanks.  Going to digest and I'm sure I'll have more questions. 

We should be able to stay longer in Yokohama since we'll be flying home from there. 

Thanks for the suggestion Jcarlton.

BTW, you'll also be able to ride the trams in hiroshima if you are into that.

And it's also going to be cheaper to use a pass:

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/kansai_hiroshima/

Haven't used this one, but the caveat might be that it may take some time to exchange the pass, if it's the same as the Japan Railpass.

I think this is tough. He only has one day, by which he must return to Kobe by 11pm. Travelling to Hiroshima already takes him around 80mins one way, so that's around 2.5 hours for travelling to and fro. Travelling time from port to Shin-Kobe and from Hiroshima tram-riding around is not included. While it is entirely doable, I don't know if he likes it that rushing.. 

Muaka san, take a look at some of your suggestions here and see how you might wish to plan your day ahead ~ The cruise sounds mighty interesting! 

I would suggest Kyoto due to the time limits. Take Shinkansen one way from Shin-Kobe and return by rapid to the closest station in Kobe (which can be Sannomiya, the main JR station in Kobe). There are even a few Limited Expresses Kyoto - Sannomiya.

You will see more from riding the "conventional" line, and the time loss isn't that big as you don't have to transfer from Shin-Kobe.

Shinkansen (in this area) as well as Limited Expresses always have unreserved cars, so you will be able to take any train with short notice. However, I recommend reservation if seats are available.

If you have get time to kill, stop in Osaka on the way back. The Osaka station area is very complex and amazing with three different stations (JR, Hankyu and Hanshin) and a lot of department stores and shopping malls. It gives a good glimpse of the modern metropolitan Japan while Kyoto will give you more of the traditional Japan.

As Shin-Kobe - Kyoto is only 27 minutes by Shinkansen, partly in tunnel, it may be too short for you.

In that case, continue to Maibara and return to Kyoto by next train. The line Kyoto - Maibara is mostly overground so you will see a lot of fields and villages instead of tunnels and mountains (which are the usual views from Shinkansen).

Edited by Kitayama
lurkingknight

go to himeji castle.. it's a 30 min or so ride I think from kobe, go do the castle and be back in kobe early afternoon.

The problem with japan is that things don't usually open till 10-11 so even if you ride around the shinkansen to a destination, there won't be much to do given your arrival time in the port. So you can walk around kobe in the morning, go through kitano district, end up at shinkobe and take the shinkansen to himeji for 10, walk up to the castle for 20 minutes or so and grab some food in the covered mall adjacent to the main street on the right heading up towards the castle.. be done in 3 hours and back to kobe. 

The other thing is take a quick 15 minute ride into osaka and spend some time there, but you don't really get the feeling of speed between the 2.. they don't really push the throttles between kobe and osaka vs heading west out of kobe.

Edited by lurkingknight