Installing a Kato coupler on a Tomix loco

emkay_777

Hello Group,

Another question, but is more of a modification than a repair.  I have just changed over from rapido couplers and TN couplers to something in the middle.  I settled on the Kato 11-702 knuckle couplers as they look better than the rapidos, and are more suited for shunting than the TN's.  I have one Tomix loco that includes the rapidos and the TN's, but I want to convert to the 702's.  Has anyone ever done anything like that?

post-759-0-76502800-1431289564_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Evan

Hi Evan

I modified the Kato 11-702 couplers to fit a Tomix JRF DD51, EH500 and DE10 as all my koki wagons are Kato.

I used the housings for the Tomix Knuckle couplers. (the cylindrical drum section that the coupler arms fits inside)

These couplers split into 3 parts by separating the cylindrical drum section top and bottom.

I then took out the tomix knuckle coupler arm and put in the 11-702. I think I had to shave a little plastic off of the rear flat edge so that it fit flush inside the cylindrical drum section. You can then put the 2 drum sections back together and you have a Kato compatible coupler. They're not quite as neat as the standard Kato Loco couplers but they're not much bigger. I painted mine a brown rust colour so they look less obvious

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Kamome -

Bang on brother! - just what the doktor ordered!!  Went together just like you said - many thanks

Tried to insert jpg picture here but don't know how - have to link to photobucket

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq142/jets427/kato%20couplers_zpsflt97b9j.jpg

katoftw - I did consider the MT couplers but I'd rather spend my money on more trains than couplers . . . .

Thanks guys!

I think back now and think my solution was for remote coupling and uncoupling.

I have a secondary question...  I have Tomix freight and Kato engines.  Is there a reverse solution?

That is what I have - Tomix freight and Kato engines (and one Tomix engine).  The Kato 11-702 couplers fit into the Tomix draft gear boxes, although the little springs are a royal PITA, but that's another story.  And obviously, they will fit in the Kato engine coupler box but that, too, is something of an art form to master.  So now my mostly Kato power will pull anything with a 702 coupler.  My basic math failed me when I went to order these - remember that there are 2 couplers per car,  so the package of 20 will do only 10 cars.  My order for more went out tonight . . . .

Can you post up some pictures some time please?  I'm keen to follow suit with what you are doing.

Edited by katoftw

When I get my couplers in (about 2 weeks), I'll post some pics for you.  In the meantime, my other post just below this one in this category has a picture of a 11-702 coupler installed on a passenger truck, but is the same as a freight truck.

mathinstrument
On 5/11/2015 at 8:24 AM, katoftw said:

I think back now and think my solution was for remote coupling and uncoupling.

I have a secondary question...  I have Tomix freight and Kato engines.  Is there a reverse solution?

Hi all, dont mean to beat up a dead horse, but just wanted to share so that if anyone is looking for a solution, you can find it here on JNS. I have learnt a lot from here when I started out collecting the past few months and would love to chip in.
I got lost in my enthusiasm and ended buying loads of Tomix freight and some Kato engines without realising that the couplers are not interchangeable like HO scale. 

To cut the long story short, see below:
TOMIX 0396 couplers are your solution. No cutting or filing, just clip from sprue, assemble and install. 

Tomix0396.thumb.jpg.81e5ada250b0828a32367de4c3784967.jpgTomixCoupler.thumb.jpg.e465f8fdc7cbd397a3d8cef3e9c3115d.jpg

Tested it on a Kato DF200 and it couples nicely with the Tomix TN couplers. The only problem that you might feel incomplete is that the coupler will not center itself because the rear copper/brass strip is not contacting the coupler fully. The bigger eyesore is the holy hook to me. 

The only problem that gets into me is that they don't come in grey. Perhaps someone that can read Japanese or know their catalogue can recommend better?

DF200TomixCoupler.thumb.jpg.b8d163f417470a9db9aaa2dd4df1762e.jpgDF200TomixCoupler2.thumb.jpg.971547749febd7f8dfb47f6bc0cf6a0b.jpg

I bought the Kato couplers to try shaving and modding to fit Tomix trains but it wasn't fitting it right. Since I had a limited number of Kato models, I continued to look for a solution and came across the above in my research. 

The original rapidos are just too much pain for me to accept. There must be a simpler solution to the holy hook. 🙂

• Like 2

It's easier to put the Kato couplers in the Tomix wagons, and not touch your engine.

1. Kato has grey couplers.

2. You'll still have the centering feature.
3. Easier to mod the rapido housing in the wagon than the engine.

• Like 2
On 12/29/2022 at 3:00 PM, katoftw said:

It's easier to put the Kato couplers in the Tomix wagons, and not touch your engine.

1. Kato has grey couplers.

2. You'll still have the centering feature.
3. Easier to mod the rapido housing in the wagon than the engine.

I figured you could do this but could you explain how? I don't want to have to order new trucks or cannibalize because I cut the wrong part. Thankfully too this way only really needs one truck done to make an adapter car. I take it I can use 11-307s for this on Tomix kokis and takis.

Edited by nah00
34 minutes ago, nah00 said:

I figured you could do this but could you explain how? I don't want to have to order new trucks or cannibalize because I cut the wrong part. Thankfully too this way only really needs one truck done to make an adapter car. I take it I can use 11-307s for this on Tomix kokis and takis.

Just drop in the kato coupler the same way you would the tomix couple.

Some rapid pockets need the inner tabs removed, if the katos don't fit.

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/16525-tomix-92240-twilight-express-with-kato-11-702-couplers/#comment-205698

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, katoftw said:

Just drop in the kato coupler the same way you would the tomix couple.

Some rapid pockets need the inner tabs removed, if the katos don't fit.

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/16525-tomix-92240-twilight-express-with-kato-11-702-couplers/#comment-205698

This works on passenger cars too, thank god, no trying to figure out which Tomix coupler to use anymore!