Wide Track Tram Track??

gerryo

What is meant by Wide Track Tram Track? I would like to put a single tram track along the back of my viaduct station and see that Tomix has this type. Will my Kato trams work on it and what are the dimensions of the tracks? Everything I can find about them is written in Japanese.

I can figure out the lengths OK but how wide is this type of track? OK, the track is N gauge but I mean the base as well.

Can it be connected to Kato Unitrack?

gerryo

The Tomix Wide Tram Track is about 67mm wide.

I tink you wanted to say 37 mm. This is the track to track distance of the Tomix track system and since these tracks can be used (together with moving bus 'tracks') to make streets, the width has to be 37 mm. The lengths are based on the 7 cm rule, so basic track sizes are 18.5, 70, 140 and 280 mm. Basic curve radiuses are centered around the 140 and 280 mm curves. (140 for trams, 280 for large trains) The Tomix track system is completly mix and match, meaning you can use tram track pieces as railroad grade crossings on normal lines or move the bus routes across the tracks. There are two types of tram tracks, the off the self type and the kit version for covering normal tracks, from which there is an old style stone pavement variant. From turnouts, you have the R140 mini ones, the R280 standard ones and the R541 long ones. Most trams from all manufacturers can run on R140, but only a select few (mostly Tomytec ones) can run on smaller curves, so it's a good idea to limit tram curves and turnouts to R140.

tossedman

D'oh! You're correct kvp. It is 37mm. It's a long walk from the basement to the computer. Guess I can't hold a number in my heard for that 32 second walk. I've edited my initial post.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman

Thanx guys. That's a big help. I have already been to Hobby Search and they have the track that I need to get this started. Now if I can just limit my dreaming enough I will get this done yet

gerryo

Pauljag900

Hi Gerryo,nothing wrong with dreaming!ha ha,I built a tram layout using all tomix wide tram track and bus track,I ve posted on here,"going Japanese" they are designed to be used together and are held in place with small clips supplied with the track.I found it to be a good product as it was cheaper and a bit more versatile than the kato as there is various radius available,however,I did find a small problem with the kato trams on the 103radius curves,the wheels seemed to be jamming on the small radius curves,so in the end I took them out and used mainly 140 and 177 radius and it worked better.Hope this helps,kind regards,paul

I've had no problems with the Kato trams on R103 curves.  I generally wasn't using the wide tram track, but I don't see how that should matter. 

There has been a suggestion that the Kato trams run louder when using a Tomix CL controller.

The tram track has a road surface between the rails, so the wheels run in a gap between the rails and the inner surface. If this gap is not wide enough or the wheels are too thick, then the back of the wheels can rub on the plastic of the road. Generally R140 is tought to be the safe minimum for trams that is are not from Tomix.

I am so disappointed with the Kato Unitram system that I am seriously thinking of doing away with it and changing to Tomix Wide Track.

The versatility of Tomix over Kato is amazing. You don't have to have double tracks. You don't have to go around in their circles. You can put a curve in where YOU want it. It can be attached to Kato track with a simple connector. It doesn't have to conform to the city squares as Kato does. And on, and on, and on.

Yes, that means that I've wasted a lot of money on Kato Unitram, but that's the problem with not being able to read Japanese.

gerryo

enodenlover

I am so disappointed with the Kato Unitram system that I am seriously thinking of doing away with it and changing to Tomix Wide Track.

The versatility of Tomix over Kato is amazing. You don't have to have double tracks. You don't have to go around in their circles. You can put a curve in where YOU want it. It can be attached to Kato track with a simple connector. It doesn't have to conform to the city squares as Kato does. And on, and on, and on.

Yes, that means that I've wasted a lot of money on Kato Unitram, but that's the problem with not being able to read Japanese.

gerryo

When I got back into Japanese trains and trams several months ago I had originally planned to use Unitram for my in-street operations but then I realized that the Unitram system was too limited in what could be done with it, especially since my interest is in modeling small Japanese towns rather than urban areas. I went with the Tomix tram track instead and have never regretted the decision. Now if only Tomix would produce ready to use street turnouts like Kato does.

You can add a low pass filter (a capacitor in parallel) to the output and that would filter out the CL frequencies, without overloading the controller too much. Of course turning the CL off completly is easier on controllers that have a knob for this.

• Like 1

gerryo

1000% agree.

When I got back into Japanese trains and trams several months ago I had originally planned to use Unitram for my in-street operations but then I realized that the Unitram system was too limited in what could be done with it, especially since my interest is in modeling small Japanese towns rather than urban areas. I went with the Tomix tram track instead and have never regretted the decision. Now if only Tomix would produce ready to use street turnouts like Kato does.

They kinda do if you use the conversion sets available.

I just received more Tomix Wide Tram Track.  It's difficult to find in the US.  Have to order it from Japan.  Takes time and postage is expensive if you do not make a medium to large purchase.

I am recently getting back into model railroading.  My original plan was to model a tram layout.  Thinking small, I purchased the Kato V50 Unitram set and a Portran.  I regret buying the Unitram and I have been very disappointed in the performance of my Portram.  I must have gotten a lemon.

I like the Wide Tram track.  My intention is to find a matching foam sheet that matches the height and use that as the foundation for my "surburban" tram layout.

Toc,

Have you tried 3/16" foamcore? Then just top with gray art paper. There also is fun foam at the craft store that's about 2mm thick. Easy to cut and you can layer it.

Jeff

Katoftw and Cteno4,

Thanks for the info.

Ordering the Tomytec sheets from Japan might be too expensive.  The Japan do a great job packaging for shipment to the US, but ..............

I have been hitting the craft sites for product ideas.  One thing I learned, Home Depot has a paint matching service and you can get half-pints in the $4.00 range.  

Also, Pauljag900 mentioned using floor tiles.  I'll need to hit Home Depot and see if that works.

Again, thanks for the good info.

Mark aka Toc

Those Tomytec sheets are just 5mm foamcore. Might even be 3/16" as that's close to 5mm like the Hobby Search descriptions says,. Way cheaper to buy it locally. You can even get full 4' X8' sheets of the stuff. Easy to cut. I use a mat cutter when I need to cut straight lines. The hardest part is finding it in the right colour, but I found it here. The Tomytec Tram track is just over 6mm high though so if you can find 6mm or 1/4" foamcore that might be better.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Mark,

Check out your local craft or art store for foamcore or fun foam.

See if you have a local plastic supply shop or sign making shop to see if they have any material called Syntra or pvc foam core. It's like foamcore but has a pvc face instead of paper. Some shops have scraps they sell of stuff like this cheap. One issue with regular, paper faced foamcore is it can warp when painted unless attached to something stiff.

Cheers

Jeff

I can get a box of 20 A4 210x297mm 5mm foamcore for $21 from a online supplier.  There'd have to be similar closer to your home.

Guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I have a lot of good options.  Now, I get have to get off my lazy a$$ ..............

Thanks,

Mark

HantuBlauLOL

Could we have more info on just what you're talking about?

As kvp san stated above. Afaik the Wikipedia has an information about it. Just search for low pass filter.

Sorry for derailing the thread guys.. ._.v

To Katoftw;

In post number 15 in this thread, you said that Tomix "sort of" makes a ready to use street turnout.  What did you mean by that?

I am thinking about doing a double track Tomix Wide Track loop around my layout, and would like to have a cross-over between the two tracks.  Is this possible using your suggestion?

gerry