Kato Tram Disassembly

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Have a Kato Centram 14-802-3 thats not running or lighted on one half.

I understand that these have wicked small gears and shouldn't be opened up.

Has anyone fixed one that would care to share how to go about this?

I do have an LED magnifier lamp but, the tiny gears worry me.

Maybe time for a new one and save this one as dummy or shell parts?

Thanks in advance.

velotrain

Have you searched prior threads?

I believe this has been covered - with detailed photos.

Guest Closed Account 1

Basic logic applies on any forum.

Oh, there are degrees of logic, just as there are degrees of pregnancy, and dead.

Somewhat pregnant, Basically pregnancy, Very pregnant.

Somewhat dead, Basically dead, Very dead.

Just having a bubble with you Velo. Not my first day here. Cheers!

I've had similar problems with my Kato trams and the culprit each time was lint stuck inside the gears. Fortunately, you do not need to dissemble the entire tram to access the gears. Flip the tram over (Lego blocks work well for keeping the tram upside down) and remove both of the small black plastic latch pieces that are on the sides of the bogies. These pieces will pop out and shoot across the room so you've gotta be careful when removing these. Once removed, you can separate the bottom part of the bogie to expose the gears. I'd recommend you lift this part off slowly so you don't disrupt the gear assembly - this way, you'll know what it should look like when you put the gears back after removing any lint that's been stuck in the gear shaft. And for the issue with the lights, the brass contact strips are located in the tram ceilings on both ends of the tram - just pry open one side of the tram shell (no need to remove the entire shell) and slightly pull down on the contact strips with some tweezers to enable better contact. I've repaired quite a few trams this way and they run like new after cleaning out the gears, so I hope this helps.

• Like 3

Odakyu,

Thanks useful to know! Mine still run pretty well, we had one in the club have difficulties but that was due to a fall to the floor!

Jeff