Hello from Wagga Wagga Australia

johnnocino

johnnocino

Hi everyone, I have been retired since September 2014 and I am taking my first tentative steps in the world of model railways. I have on a number of occasions thought about building a model railway, but never got around to it. Then one day my dear wife (aka 'she who must be obeyed') said "for goodness sake, find yourself a hobby you are driving me nuts". So being a very obedient hubby I did.

During my initial research into model trains I kept going back to the Japanese models, particularly the N class which I like for many reasons, not the least being that I can get more into the space I have made.

I am happy to have found this forum as I live in a rural city which has no model railway clubs or retailers and is many hours away from major centres. From the posts I have read so far it looks like I am already on the right track (pun intended).

Edited by johnnocino
ozman2009

Welcome to this forum John, and to this grand hobby! I just wonder if SWMBO really understood the implications of her directive! How much space have you got?

HantuBlauLOL

Welcome! I think I heard Wagga Wagga a lot in an Australian NSM (N Scale Modeller) magazine.. Have you checked it?

johnnocino

Thanks for the welcomes.

Ozman I have equal to a single car garage which also has my woodworking bench (and machines) but after a bit of sorting (shifting stuff around), installing insulation, lining with zinc corrugated roof sheets (to get the rural look), I was able to build a 7' x 3'6" train table. I have enough extra space to add a 3" wing, if (when) I decide to expand, without making it too cramped .

katoflwI thanks for the links. I checked out the facebook link for Wagga Model Train Club but discovered is not the official facebook page, however, thankfuilly there was a post on it providing a link to the Wagga Wagga Model Railroaders Inc facebook page. The model shop you mentioned is small and is not really into trains.

ozman2009

A 7' by 3'6" board should give you plenty of scope in N scale. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Das Steinkopf

Hello Johnnocino

There is a fairly decent sized model railway club in Wagga Wagga and they hold a model rail exhibition annually at the beginning of November, there are some very talented modellers down there who mainly model NSW prototype in HO Gauge, but there are a number of members who have interests in other scales and prototypes.

Edited by Das Steinkopf